This is a grab and go tool for industrial electricians for tests and troubleshooting HVAC applications. For example, you can find out problems on motor drives, in plant automation, power distribution, and electromechanical equipment. Fluke is the best multimeter brand from the United States providing ideal accuracy, reliability, and design. This model comes with high productivity even in loud, high energy and high altitude locations making it industrial electrical troubleshooters favorite choice of all time. With high quality comes high price but in this case, Fluke 87-V is worth what it will cost. It can handle currents up to 10A and 20A for 30 seconds, Voltage 1000V AC and DC including complex signals.
Fluke 87-V true RMS meter provides accurate frequency measurements on adjustable speed drives (ASD) as it includes a low-pass filter. This filter is designed by Fluke. The unit includes a built-in thermometer. The dual display resolution (6000 or 20,000 counts) eases to see even a small change in the reading. The data hold feature will make your life easy during
This idolized multimeter comes with so many features it is supposed to fit your budget. Fluke 87V is a great choice for professionals.
Inside the box
- TL75 Test Leads.
- Alligator Clips (AC175)
- 9V Battery (Installed).
- 80BK Temperature Probe.
- Instruction manual (online pdf)
- Working on VSDs/VFDs: Get accurate voltage, current and frequency measurements on the output side of the drive from the both (either the drive itself or at the motor terminals) end.
- Checking power quality: Letting you Identify irregular signals. Capture glitches and spikes as short as 250 μs.
How to Measure Frequency and Duty Cycle With The Fluke 87V Industrial Multimeter
Secret Functions on the Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter
- Selectable filter for accurate voltage and frequency measurements (on motor drives and other electrically noisy equipment)
- “Classic” design with new removable holster, built in test lead and probe storage
- Optional magnetic hanger for easy set-up while letting you free your hands for other tasks
- True RMS AC voltage and current for accurate measurements on non-linear signals
- Measure up to 1000 VAC and DC
- Measure up to 10 A, 20 A for up to 30 seconds
- Built-in thermometer including TC probe lets you carry one less tool
- Frequency 200 kHz, Resistance, continuity, diode test and % duty cycle
- 10,000 µF capacitance range for components and motor caps
- 05% DC accuracy
- Peak capture to record transients as fast as 250 µs
- Relative mode to remove test lead interference from low ohms measurements
- Auto and manual ranging for maximum flexibility
- Touch Hold to capture stable readings avoiding noisy signals
- 6000 counts, 3-3/4 digits
- 4-1/2 digit mode for precise measurements (20,000 counts)
- Large digit display with bright, two-level white backlight for better visibility to read than older models
- Analog bar graph to read fast changing or unstable signals
- Input Alert provides an audible warning for wrong placement of input jacks
- Min/Max-Average recording with Min/Max Alert capturing variations automatically
- Safety rating – CAT-III (to 1000V), CAT-IV (to 600V)
- Access door for fast battery changes without breaking the calibration seal
- Improved selectable sleep mode for long battery life
- Made in
USA, Lifetime warranty
Fluke 87V Pros and Cons
- Retains accuracy over time
- CAT IV-rated
- Dual resolution screen
- Two screen backlight
- No gimmicks
- Holster is removable
- Storage for test lead
- A separate battery compartment and excellent battery life
- Lifetime warranty
- No separate fuse compartment
- The battery doesn’t have solid terminals
- 9V battery as opposed to AAs
- Comparatively heavier than other models
Here is a short video to make your meter twice as useful with a Fluke current clamp accessory.
Frequently Asked Question
Ques: Is it complicated to work with?
Ans: It is way easier to use for an expert. If you are a complete beginner it may take some time for you to figure it out.
Ques: Do I get a calibration certificate?
Ans: Yes you will. But you need to pay extra for it.
Ques: Does it have a kickstand?
Ans: Yes! It includes an optional magnetic hanger
Fluke 87V digital multimeter is a true RMS industrial multimeter with built-in temperature measurement that you can trust. It has an impressive user rating in Amazon. The unit is highly durable and multi-functional. Spending money on it will be a wise decision as it has a lifetime warranty and is built to serve you for a long time.